James Cameron in conversation

Avatar, Terminator, Stan Winston and what he’s been doing for the last 12 years

Avatar, Terminator, Stan Winston and what he’s been doing for the last 12 years.In a great guest blog, Scyfi Love’s man in London Craig Grobler – aka @ckc1ne on Twitter and a top bloke all around – tells of meeting up and spending three hours in the company of James Cameron ahead of the release of his latest blockbuster, Avatar. In that time Cameron and Craig talked about the origins of his most famous creation, The Terminator, his hopes for Avatar and the technology behind it, the death of Stan Winston and what the future may hold.

Cameron Talks

Craig Grobler
POST-DATE | ADD COMMENTS

Crikey! It's elementary, My Dear Watson!

Posted by Craig Grobler On 09:03

1 2
As part of the second day goody bag from Movie -Con 2 (which included a rare/exclusive George Lucas (in Disguise) action figure now available on eBay). We each received a rather thick card with some odd characters and numbers printed on it. Most guessed that this was a promotional ploy for Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes as one could make out the words MR HOLMES on the card.

The card had a slit down the middle and when slot into the card belonging to the guy sitting next to me. Created a a sort of propeller like shape and when spun around the characters on each card were a lot more legible and they read WIDEN YOUR GAZE MR HOLMES. OK! fair enough some really Victorian era style marketing and thought nothing more of it.

However I love a good mystery and excel at puzzles. I couldn't stop thinking about the cards after all this was marketing for Sherlock Holmes master detective. When I got home today I emptied my goody back and dug out the cards again. Naturally I had collected a number of them from other guests at Movie-Con as well as the box on the security guys desk (for my film memorabilia collection).

After having another look I thought the numbers on the cards could mean something 236., 221, 57. and 94. Perhaps a GPS location, map co-ordinate. The periods between the numbers made it obvious, it's an IP address. After some trial & error number swapping. My browser opened up the site at at http://94.236.57.221/ . How exciting!

Nice dark ambient music, a quality background and 5 empty fields awaiting my entry? A small question mark above the fields gave a clue "FIND HER". Find who? Well that much was obvious I am after all a product of many conspiracies that have needed unpicking - and if it's not the Butler you know where to look next. After a quick visit to IMDB I punched in my 5 character guess. And B-I-N-G-O was her name. I was through to the next stage.

0 comments

Post a Comment